The funeral of Georgi V. Volossevich took place at the London Cathedral of the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God and Holy Royal Martyrs on Wednesday, 25th March, 2015. The Deputy Rector of the Cathedral, Archpriest Vladimir Vilgerts presided at the funeral, assisted by Archimandrite Avraamy Neyman (Greek Archdiocese) who is a godson of the late Georgi V. Volossevich. Also at the funeral were Archpriest Peter Baulk and Archimandrite Alexis Pobjoy, a large number of relatives and friends of the deceased, as well as members of the parish. The funeral was followed by burial at Gunnersbury Cemetery and a Lenten meal served in the Church Hall.
The eldest of four brothers, Georgi V. Volossevich was born in 1923 in Lutsk (now in Ukraine) and grew up on the family estate in Yaroslavichi. In 1939, he was forced into exile in Siberia. During the Second World War, Georgi fought with the Polish Army at the Battle of Monte Casino (1944) and then settled in London in 1946, where he married Lubov (née Grening) in the old Russian Church at St. Philip’s in Buckingham Palace Road in 1953.
Georgi trained and worked as an engineer, and later worked as technical multi-lingual interpreter and translator. Throughout his life in England, Georgi was an active and committed member of the parish of the London Russian Orthodox Church In Exile (Russian Orthodox Church Abroad), serving for many years as an elected member of the Church Council. In the early 1990’s Georgi personally managed the building of what became the Church Hall at Harvard Road; initially it was used as temporary church building during the construction of the Cathedral. Georgi passed away peacefully on 4th March, 2015 at the age of 91. He is survived by his wife, Lubov; two sons, Alexander and Nicholas; four grandchildren; and numerous nephews and nieces.
The servant of God Georgi will be deeply missed by the Cathedral Clergy, Trustees, Councillors and parishioners. Memory Eternal!